Thursday, July 29, 2010

Our friends, the Hamer's, have really been a big help for us as they have been watering Reid's grass every now and then. Since they live so close to the cemetery, they drive by it most days. Justin now carries a 2.5 gallon jug of water in his car so that when he does go by, he dumps some water on the grass. Yesterday, I sent him a text message to see if it had rained over in their area as I was trying to judge if I needed to make a trip over there or not. It has been incredibly hot these past few weeks and know that if I let it go more than a couple of days without water, we are going to get into trouble. Anyway, no more than a few minutes later, I get a text message back from him saying that he had just pulled into the cemetery to water --- and to his surprise, his wife Shay and his son Aidan were already there visiting Reid.

Aidan and Shay visit Reid quite regularly. In fact, Aidan felt that it was necessary to bring his two grandmothers and his Godmother to meet Reid last week. He mentions how he really likes Reid even though he never really got the chance to meet him. He also sang a song that he learned at summer camp - which even involved "booty shaking". Hearing these sort of things just makes us smile. :)

Today, Kristen made two meals for my sister's family to help them out as their attention is more focused on the new addition to their family. She made them Chicken Tetrazzini and Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sun-dried tomatoes. With this, we threw in a bottle of wine, a salad, some rice pilaf, bread and broccoli. They have two meals for tonight and tomorrow - so I think Kristen felt good that she was able to help out. The food smelled really good and wish that we were eating the chicken tetrazzini tonight...

We dropped the food off around 3 this afternoon and gave them a little present for Braden. We felt that Reid had to have an impact on what we gave them, so we ended up getting them a Wubbanub pacifier and copy of Reid's favorite CD, You Are My Little Bird by Elizabeth Mitchell. We hope that Braden enjoys them as much as Reid did and that they think of him when listening to 'Little Liza Jane' - which was by far our favorite track on the CD.

This week, I have been working in the evenings on transforming Reid's blog into a hard-bound book via blurb.com. The application imports all of the text and pictures from the web into a project - and it is up to me to format the layout, font and pictures. I think it is really going to turn out nice and is going to be about 400 pages thick. While the cost of the book is going to be about $100 to publish, I feel it is going to be something that will allow me to keep Reid's story easily accessible for rest of our lives. I think it will also be a good mechanism to help our future kids one day understand our past and what we went through with Reid.

5 comments:

  1. Caiden loves his Wub-a-nub and CD too! Reid had good taste! We are about to try the rattle since its a 3+ toy. I'm so glad you are making a hard copy of his blog (I had been wondering if you knew you could).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought your writings should become a book; a guidebook of sorts, for others, yet a wonderful way to reflect for yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Thank you for continuing to share your lives with us all! I am going to have to look into the CD for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used blurb before and am going to try another one called blog2print to print out last year's family blog. It's about the same price but looks a little easier.

    Braden sure is a cutie - he looks a lot like Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable little boy Braden is! Congrats to your whole family!

    I love Elizabeth Mitchell, and I sing her version of "You Are My Sunshine" to Eli all the time. I made him a CD to take to his dad's to listen to whenever he misses me :)

    Chad, I think the book is a wonderful idea. You are such an talented writer, and Reid's story is so inspiring, I wonder if it shouldn't be published by Doubleday. A bestseller for sure.

    ReplyDelete